2010/05/16

Essay reflection(Wasteeeeeeeeeeee)

My essay is about converting organic waste into compost, a fertiliser that can be used in agriculture. Organic waste is allowed to decompose under a controlled environment in a container. Heat gets trapped in the container and speeds up the decomposition process. The end product is a nutrient rich material similar to soil.

I think what my essay lacks is the evaluation part. There are many problems with compost and in my essay i merely stated them. I think what i could have done is to evaluate the problems and come up with solutions for it, also the how the problems affects the ecosystem.

For example, one problem with composting is that pests might treat the container as a food source if the container is not sealed properly. In my essay, i merely stated that a rise in the population of pests such as rats and cockroaches might occur if the pests gain access to the organic waste in the container. I could have written down the effects of the rise in population of pests, like the spreading of diseases that the pests carry and also a imbalance in the food chain.

Generally, i feel that my essay is not too bad but it lacks depth. More research could have been done to show the impact of using compost to treat organic waste instead of throwing it away.

Dylan Fu (19)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home